In 2002, Dr. Robert Ballard and Dr. Stephen Coan founded Immersion Learning™ — a non-profit science education organization that brings ocean adventures and discoveries from Mystic Aquarium & Institute for Exploration, the University of Rhode Island and the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration to kids in classrooms, after-school settings and informal learning arenas.
In our constantly changing world, Immersion Learning™ helps students understand the positive roles that science and technology play in their everyday lives. Immersion exposes students to ongoing scientific expeditions in an effort to ignite their interest in real discovery and learning.
Immersion Learning™ programs:
- Feature live webcasts from one or more real-world scientific expeditions each year
- Include hands-on science activities correlated to the National Science Education Standards (NSES) for grades 5–8 and the Ocean Literacy Essential Principles & Fundamental Concepts
- Inspire students with an engaging Web site that includes interactive multimedia resources
- Provide career role models and expose students to a wide variety of science-related careers
- Are easy to use in formal and informal education settings
Immersion Learning Partners
Immersion Learning programs are developed in collaboration with: